Welcome to Bennett's World: a collection of articles and references covering a wide variety of topics in which I am involved. I am a very political person but I have no allegiance to any political party. Follow me on twitter @colinhove

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Democracy Now! and the Inauguration of Barack Obama

A campaign event scheduled for 21 Jan 2013 was cancelled, so I was able to watch the five hour livestream of the Inauguration. It was very well done and informative. I don't mean the Inauguration itself, as it was histrionic and uninspiring. I found the fact that Obama touched the Bibles of both Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King rather distasteful. This is because Obama and his message has nothing in common with the messages of those great men. I also found quite sad the contribution of Mrs Myrlie Evers-Williams the widow of Medger Evers, the great civil rights activist. She was self-serving and imperialistic; I'm afraid she made my stomach churn. Among the contributors to this program were Ralph Nader, Clarence Lusane, and Medea Benjamin. They're all very impressive and provided lots of good information.

The livestream also contained the famous speech by Martin Luther King delivered at the Riverside Church in New York City on 4 April 1967. This is often called the Vietnam speech and to my mind his best. Also was broadcast his speech of 3 April 1968 in Memphis, Tennessee, the day before he was assassinated. That is also well worth listening to. Eloquent? By golly!

Here is the hyperlink for the video: http://www.democracynow.org/live/democracy_now_live_presidential_inauguration_2013

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home