Welcome to Bennett's World: a collection of articles and references covering a wide variety of topics in which I am involved. I am a very political person but I have no allegiance to any political party. Follow me on twitter @colinhove

Friday, December 29, 2006

UN Adopts Global Treaty for the Disabled

Some readers will remember that I often listen to a online US news radio programme called Democracy Now (click here). I listen to this via my computer and this means that I always have clear reception. I recommend this programme hosted by Amy Goodman. Quite often I hear news items which are not covered by the BBC even though they concern British events. Thus I learned that there were protests in London and other British cities at the time of Tony Blair's announcement that he wanted to replace the Trident nuclear system. I heard nothing about those demonstrations on main BBC radio. On 14 December 2006, I heard on Democracy Now the following news item concerning the UN:
At the UN, the General Assembly has adopted a landmark treaty to uphold the rights of the disabled. The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities has been hailed the first human rights treaty of the 21st century.
This text comes from here. As far as I know main BBC Radio news did not mention this important event. Full details from the UN website are here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home