Welcome to Bennett's World: a collection of articles and references covering a wide variety of topics in which I am involved. I am a very political person but I have no allegiance to any political party. Follow me on twitter @colinhove

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

A Useful Day in London

I have been involved with DisabledGo for some years and I am well acquainted with its Chief Executive Dr Gregory Burke. DisabledGo is an organisation that seeks to improve access for disabled people to all kinds of premises; shops, restaurants, theatres, leisure centres etc. It is is now expanding its work into the area of jobs as was explained yesterday morning on the BBC Radio Today Programme (audio link). It wants to encourage employers to take on disabled people and points out that disabled people have a good record as employees in such areas as punctuality and commitment. DisabledGo launched its DisabledGo-Jobs website yesterday at the CBI in London. I was pleased to accept an invitation to attend. It was considered a success and I was pleased to have a few minutes exchanging jokes with Gregory. Afterwards I was accompanied by two burly DisabledGo employees on a trip to the nearby Royal Opera House in Covent Garden. I had a reason to do this in connection with a current legal action in Brighton County Court. This revolved around my commitment and understanding of infra-red systems which assist dealing with hearing problems. We barged in unannounced and asked the Management if they could show us the equipment connected with the infra-red system. They were happy to do so and willingly provided this letter (link to pdf) to state that I had visited. They also gave me two audio cassetttes explaining their provision for disabled people. Altogether a pleasant and satisfactory day. And a rare day out for me. A link to the Royal Opera house website Disability Access page is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home